Monday, January 23, 2006

Trying Capoeira

January 18th

I went to Capoeira with Julie. That was … interesting. Well it was kinda fun. But I was among buffs that had been doing this for years or at least months and I felt a little like a doof. Julie said that I actually did much better than some others when they had just started. But still, we were asked to go one by one doing cartwheels across the room, and then walking on you hands and stuff… Not the kind of stuff I usually do in my free time, especially when it's so hot in the room (I sweated at least 1 liter of water, my tshirt was soaked and stuck to my body like if I'd jumped in a pool. And I felt so dirty, the mats were covered with dust, which would then stick to our sweat. Pretty gross…). I don't know if I want to continue or not. It's 3 times a week, which is quite an investment, from next week on the mats will be removed as there will be works done to the room and it will be even dustier, and I'm just so behind everybody else. 15 before the end of the class, people make a circle and everybody two by two has to go inside it and fight/dance while the people around clap. I was mortified. Luckily the coach didn't force me to go inside the circle… But on the other hand I want to continue cos I don't want people to think I wasn't up to it. I don't know. Corinne said there are also Khmer dance classes. I'd be much more interested in that actually. I need to find out more about them.

Today was good. I went to the Psar Depot center in the afternoon It was the first time I went to a centre on my own. Of course I had to find somebody to drive me there and someone else to drive me back. It's so cute when you arrive, all the kids drop what they were doing in an instant and all rushed towards me, joining their hands to say chumreab sua. I love it. I spoke to the director of the centre about a few issues that I need to include in my report. I didn't get all the answers I needed which means that I will have to be inventive, without actually lying. A blurry distinction in the job of a communications officer…

Tomorrow I'm going to Kampong Cham, which is 3 hours away from Phnom Penh. I'm going with Kosal the DG and Guillaume. We leave here at … 6.30, and we're probably gonna arrive back quite late. That'll be interesting.

Anyway, off to the internet café now. I'm gonna try to go to bed not too late cos last night dinner at Corinne's finished at 11 and waking at 6.30 was a struggle. It'll be even worse tomorrow. Anyway, I need to catch on on some Desperate Housewives watching. I bought the entire 2nd season at the Russian Market (10$...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home